Saturday, July 17, 2010

break my heart for what breaks yours

hey all.

So here it is the next quick update on what is occurring overseas here in Ethiopia. Excuse the spelling and grammatical mistakes, I am not taking the time to proof read. :)

We have officially been gone now for 11 days which is crazy! I can't believe its been that long already. The time here is going very fast and very slow at the same time. We do so much in one day it amazes me, so it makes the day seem longer but then when you think about the whole time we have been here its gone too fast. We only have two more full weeks at our worksites and then a day. Thats 9 days of our worksites left. That is so weird to think about. Yes we have a lot of time left here but its already the 17th and we come back on the 8th.

Our first week of worksites went pretty well. I am at a home with young women ages 14-19 who used to be homeless street kids. I am there with just one other ethiopian, her name is Calcidan. Everyone elses groups have from 3 people to 6. I got placed at this worksite with one other girl because they needed someone mature enough to handle it and that could be creative and entertain older girls. Most other girls on our team are at orphanages so they are playing with kids and teaching classes. For my worksite we don't really need to teach them much, most speak english they are just not very comfortable doing it yet; by the end i hope to have to open up more and start speaking to me, even in their broken english. We are doing bible study with them, which is really fun and interesting. I am teaching them how to do manuscript bible study and they are taking to it pretty well. They all have such good questions and dig into the word so much, it brings tears to my eyes to sit at the table with them and watch them absorb what they are reading and apply it to their lives. Its truly a blessing to be able to share this time with them. Other than that I am not so sure what I am doing at my worksite. I have not found what my purpose it other than bible study. There are 12 girls and so they are already surrounded by love and have a great community. Most of them have been living at the house for 4 years so much of the street lives have become part of the past. When you see them, it is easy to forget that they were every like the little children we see begging everyday on our way to our worksites and out to eat. We have spent a lot of time just sitting around in the afternoons 'talking'. Its more of me just sitting there waiting for Calci to translate. Its very different for both of us, she is not used to have to stop all the time and I'm not used to sitting in a room full of women who are speaking another language. I think its just an adjustment we have to get used to; I have to be okay with the fact that Calci will probably become closer to the girls since she speaks their language.

So, if you could pray for my worksite and for peace I would greatly appreciate it. I am focusing too much on the negative things and forgetting to see the good God is providing around me. I am being blinded by the fog and I am not choosing to wipe it away, instead I try and squint through it. I know God has plans for me and he is already teaching me a lot at my worksite about myself and then things I need to work on and change in my own life. If I can do nothing else but to teach them to read into the word more than they already are by just reading the bible on their own I will be extremely please. I want them to see that Calci and I do not need to be at their house for them to study the bible the way that we are together. There is 12 girls, if one has a question their is 11 others who could have an idea or thought on what they think the answer should be. They have the resources, background and knowledge to dig deeper into discovering God and his kingdom together. I know with all my heart God will provide for me and these women, so please remember to keep us in your prayers.

As for how i'm doing, I am loving Ethiopia! Its such an amazing place, so different for America, I wish I could find words to explain to you what its like but I cant. I don't think I could ever live here but I love it for now. As for the food, we have started going out to eat so I've began to eat more American style food which is really nice. My stomach was enjoying it very much, until I got the stomach flu on Thursday. It wasn't a fun day at all, but I'm feeling better now. I'm trying to take it easy and watch what I eat and get more rest. I stayed home that day and just slept while everyone went to worksites. It broke my heart to not be able to go have bible study with the girls but I knew I could not go and get them sick. I am just praying it doesn't occur again while I am here.

I think thats all I've got for you. I am loving our ethiopian teammates and we are all becoming very close in such a short time. We truly are finding unity and its such a blessing. i love teaching them english worship and i love learning amharic worship. This trip amazes me already the ways God is working in and through us! He is sending healing for us and for those we work with and encounter. As the title says I continue to pray for God to break my heart for what breaks His here in Ethiopia. There is so much going on that at times its overwhelming and you just don't know what you can do or say, and so its then I ask God for more guidance. I want to see the furious love of Christ here in Ethiopia, even in the poverty that is surrounding us. I know he is there and so I continue to ask for eyes to see and a heart to feel.

Until next time.

So much love and blessing being sent your way.

Courtney

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better after having a bit of the flu! Not a fun thing to experience while you are traveling-much less in a different country. I have been praying about your comments regarding your purpose at the worksite and without going into too much detail, the verses that were brought to mind were in Acts 20: 31, 36-38. All about building relationships by sharing, caring, rejoicing and praying together and you will gather others around you by giving yourself away to them. By empowering them to gain confidence and comfort, it will be amazing to see what happens with the bible study when you leave! Hope that makes sense!! look forward to your next updates- love you, k

    ReplyDelete