Sunday, July 4, 2010

the last bit of life as we know it

hey all.

There is only 2 days left until we depart from the US to Ethiopia... yep, thats right 2 day 2 hours and 52 mins until our plane takes of the ground. We will be flying from Des Moines to Chicago, Chicago to London, and London to Ethiopia. Thats a whole total of more than 18 hours on the plane and thats not including layovers and fuel stops. Its going to be a very long trip but its going to be worth it when we land and see the Kingdom of God in the country, our roommates, the people, our work sites and in each other.

Preparing for this trip has been challenging and the best thing to ever happen to me. I've been pushed to limits and had to learn to trust in ways I never thought I'd have to. I've been shown ways God moves in places I never thought this trip would bring. I've been doubtful, worried, nervous, scared and unsure at time while preparing, but through these all I've learned and have grown so much already. I can't imagine what this trip will bring if I've already gone through so much here at home just in preparation. I have also been amazed and blown away many times over the way God has moved in me and through my teammates as we all count down the day till our departure and continue to raise more financial support. I have received many blessing through my experience of asking for people to support me as I travel to share the Kingdom to a country that I know so little about. I can't even begin to explain my gratitude towards people who have helped me to get to this point and the blessing I feel through receiving everyones gifts of money, prayers, hopes and wishes for my trip.

I am pretty much packed now. I think I have all the necessary things that will help me to survive in my new environment. Its just the last minute things that need to be place in my suitcase. One load of laundry left and packing of my carry on and I should be ready to go. Wow. I just said I was ready to go. I haven't really felt I am actually going or that I'm prepared for a very long time now. I have just been telling people the number of days that I have left until I leave and all about my trip, but I haven't really felt in my heart that I am actually leaving. It was really this morning that I finally felt the weight of this trip finally rest on me. I woke up with a stomach ache worried about all the last minute things I need to finish before I leave. I still can't believe we leave in 2 days but its happening, and there is no turning back now, no matter how nervous or frightened I am about what I am doing.

Our team has had many blessing for the trip and many people have felt the strong feelings for this trip and the people we are going to encounter. I have not felt such strong emotions and I think thats messed with my mind and I got caught up on it, taking it as not being ready. Its then that I think of all you who have supported me and provided me with multiple ways to get to Ethiopia. I know then in my heart that if I were not mean to go on this trip that I would not have raised any money or had so many people praying for me. This also has shown me how much I need to get out of my ordinary settings and see that God is working through me, even if it doesn't seem as strong as others around me. I need to be in a place where all I have is God to trust to provide and take care of me. I've gotten to caught up on my physical earthly comforts and have lost my faith and connection with God to be my rock and protector. This trip may seem like its coming at the most inconvenient time for me when I think about all the that is happening in my life, but really its the best things for me right now. As difficult as it is for me to admit it and believe, it's exactly what I need.

For those of you who are praying for me and this trip I just have a few request for you. For those of you that do not feel comfortable praying I ask for you to just keep me, this trip and these concerns in your minds as I am out of the country. My team needs your prayers, being an all girls trip we will run into conflict and difficult situations with each other, so I am asking for your prayer for these situations to be dealt with in the most loving ways. We also need your prayers to stay strong through the difficult 5 weeks. Many of us will have a hard time adjusting to our work sites, our roommates, the culture, the food and being away from home among other things. Our trip leader needs your prayers as well. She is prepared to go and has a very excited heart but I know there are things she is concerned about, so I ask for you to pray for her to stay strong as well and to know that she has God on her side. Also, that she would be able to put aside her worry and be able to experience the presence of the kingdom as well. I ask for you to pray for our roommates. That they would have open hearts to get to know us and be patient with us as we learn how to live in their country in their culture. I ask for you to also pray for the people that we will encounter at our work sites that we would be able to connect with them and share the love of Jesus with them. Pray also for the country of Ethiopia as a whole, since it is a place that God is obviously calling people to, and wanting his power to change the country. Of course, I ask for you to pray for me. that I would be able to put aside all the things I've been carrying and fully experience the complete presence of God in my life and be able to share it with the others I will encounter. I need your prayer to keep me strong as I deal wit underlying issues that will come to the surface during this life changing experience. Pray for my nerves as well as I count down the hours and minutes until this whole trip really takes off and begins to really affect my life more than it even has to this point. I just ask for you to keep me, my teammates, our roommates, the country and the people of Ethiopia in your hearts,minds,thoughts, and prayers over the next 36days.

I still need help raising funds. I am just a couple dollars short of $3000 so that leaves me with around $1000 left to raise. There is still 2 days before we leave so there is still time to give. But if you can't give before I leave you can always still give while I am gone online. I am able to continue to raise funds until the 15th of September. So please pray and consider helping me to finish paying off my trip. This last amount of money I need to raise is actually going to paying for my Ethiopian roommate to participate in this exchange. If you are willing to give you can give specifically to me at this website: http://tiny.cc/fwfv0

Okay I promise this is the last thing I have left to say. This blog post has gotten much longer than I have expected. This will be my way of keeping everyone updated on my trip while I am gone. We will be able to go to the internet cafe around once a week and for a limited time. For this reason, I will be using this as the main form of communication with you all. I can't wait to keep you updated on all the is happening and what I am experience. I know with all my heart that something great is going to come with this trip. So stay tuned for what is to come.

Much love and prayers,
Courtney


No comments:

Post a Comment